Thursday, January 8, 2009

Twilight

I think that movies should either bend my reality, by showing me things that I could never imagine, or stick to what they know and follow the norm especially when it comes to “fantasy”.

The thing with vampires is that they not only have their own folklore or legends, they have folklore or legends within the entertainment industry as well. There are certain characteristics that viewers and readers have come to expect from a vampire. Buffy and Angel was my favourite version of the vampire and quite good shows in my opinion. Each book, show, movie that is about vampires always tries to take a different spin on the story. And so did Twilight.

I read the book first before I watched the movie. And I was surprised at how much I liked the book and that I actually finished it. (Academics have somewhat destroyed my ability to do light reading, so I tend to start a book but never finish it). The author’s vampire is uncomplicated and beautiful. Which is a throwback to the original version of the vampire, I think. Dracula who was good looking, dark, mysterious and hypnotising. But the shimmering skin in the book and the movie was a bit hard for me to swallow.

I think they did a very good job of the movie. I do understand that the main audience is teenagers so it has its moments of ‘simplicity’. I was able to really enjoy it without thinking that it was corny. Everyone that was cast fit the roles perfectly. And Edward is very cute.

I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and for the next movies to come out.

9 comments:

Az said...

I love Buffy and Angel - Both series...thats as far as I go with Vampires lol

Abdullah Tariq said...

And this is why I don't like Twilight. -.-

Ms. Amanda Grace said...

I've gotta say I'm not big on vampires or light reading myself--(college seemed to prevent reading for pleasure) so over break when my 15 yr old neighbor suckered me into seeing the movie I thought for sure it would be torture.
I did find the first book (and movie) a little corny but edward was quite dreamy, so i didn't complain. I read the first book and then started the second, third, and finally sailed to the fourth. I have to say I think you'll find that they really expand the characters a bit and you might end up liking the series of books more than anticipated.

:) let me know.

Lady T said...

Azra - How funky is your chicken? How loose is your goose?

UD91 - cool

SYS - Will definatly let you know once I read the rest;)

Waseem said...

Interview with the vampire is my favorite vamp movie, and queen of the damned has the best movie integrated soundtrack. I dont like Anne Rices writing though, without sounding too immature, it's rather gay. I liked Memnoch the Devil alot though.

Buffy I liked till she finished school, then it became dumb, Angel only first season, till that irish guy died.

I havent watched Twilight and dont want to, it seems too fluff.

Lady T said...

Waseem - yup, very fluffy but I like a little fluff now and then.

Ms. Amanda Grace said...

Nominated you love, see my page

M Junaid said...

this movie was gay. I'l do a blog on it :)

Mohamed Karolia said...

This twilight book is everywhere, its like mass hysteria. Every female friend of mine loves the main character. I got to agree with waseem it seems like extreme fluff....